10 rules of conduct for inlingua courses:
- Only the target language is used. Nothing is translated.
- Lessons focus on speaking and listening.
- Students learn grammar through examples, not explanations.
- Students get as much time as possible to speak.
Teachers talk only as much as necessary.
- Students’ personal requirements are taken into consideration when planning courses.
- Mistakes are corrected in a constructive, motivational way.
- Teachers “fish” before they “feed”.
- Students are given as many opportunities as possible to express their opinions and use the language creatively in informal activities.
- Teachers use a wide range of techniques to keep lessons lively and interesting.
- Students’ books stay closed for most of the lesson.
We recognise that the inlingua method is only as good as the teachers who use it, therefore, we hire only native-speaker teachers who have attained a teaching degree in languages or an equivalent qualification.
Before beginning at inlingua Zurich, each teacher is required to complete a two-week method training course.
Obligatory further training consists of workshops on a variety of pedagogical topics, in order to ensure that teachers and students can benefit from the latest developments in learning techniques.